My Aspirational Group

My Aspirational Group
The Shoes Are The Bomb

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Goodreads thing

My friend Beth got me to get logged into goodreads.com. It’s a terrific idea…you list books you’ve read, and review them in as much or little detail as you want. You can look at what others say, and get updates on what your “friends” are reading. Kind of like a book club with no drinking or fondue.

What's fascinating is to see what other people like and don’t like. Sure it appalls me that someone would think that complexity of The Best and the Brightest is “dry” or “boring.” But then you can see what grades these people give to other books. It’s like looking inside the heads of people that you usually don’t talk to in those cases. Seriously, it’s fascinating.

Seems like the majority of members are under 35 and there are a whole lot of them, which leads me think that maybe reading isn’t dead. That, maybe, it’s quite healthy. So even when I’m freaked by someone’s comments (King Lear gets two stars from a woman who says the play is only for “people who enjoy Shakespear!!!"), it’s still nice to see that there are lot of us still turning pages.

No comments: