My Aspirational Group

My Aspirational Group
The Shoes Are The Bomb

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hospital Food

My mother goes to the hospital tomorrow for minor surgery (hopefully). It's possibly outpatient, but likely an overnight stay...she's 84 now, and it's better to be safe than sorry in terms of going to the hospital, getting an hour or two of surgery, and checking out/going home on the same day. Let's have them monitor things for a night.

I will be in the cafeteria at least once or twice. That means salad bars...I've discovered that hospitals almost always have good salad bars. And the food area is always well lit and comfortable to some degree. But it's always such an alien, incompatible atmosphere of wildly clashing customers...the nurses, doctors, and (especially) drug company reps that talk loudly, waving their forks airily around to make their point, laughing about some shared experiences. And the rest of us, waiting for news of loved ones, faces pinched with strain and worry.

I just focus on my food. The salad bar is always good.

No comments: