My Aspirational Group

My Aspirational Group
The Shoes Are The Bomb

Monday, November 10, 2008

Styx makes a CD about a Giant Carrot.

Well, now that Barack Obama has won the Presidency, I guess we can all get back to the important stuff.

So...Styx made an album about a giant carrot!



Look, I was a teenager in the seventies. I liked Styx. In the great battle of the one word name Seventies/Early Eighties bands (Journey, Kansas, Toto, Foreigner, Boston, Loverboy), I was in the Styx corner. I was a fan. They made some good music. I actually saw the Kilroy Was Here tour. You know, the one with "Mr. Roboto." There was a 20 minute movie directed by Ridley Scott that set up the entire concept of the album/concert. (Bet Ridley leaves that one off his resume!) It was a daring concept considering the band's primary fan base was 16 year old girls who wanted to hear "Babe" over and over and guys like me who were busy getting stoned and wondering when the fuck they were gonna stop all this weak shit and play "Miss America."

Later, Dennis DeYoung worked with Liza, and Tommy Shaw did a record with Nugent and one of the guys from Night Ranger. So, yeah, there was a lot of bad to go with the good.

Which brings us to today. Leaving out the kind of charming idea that Styx was still recording new music as of 2003 (without, alas, Dennis DeYoung, proto Power Ballad Meister)...what's up with the carrot? What does it mean? What could it possibly mean? Since I probably won't see them again unless they play for free or I'm at a state fair and seriously drunk, it will remain a mystery.

1 comment:

Pearl said...

A carrot. Hmm. What do you suppose it all means?
And btw, Miss America was truly a kick-ass song. Strangely enough, I saw a cover band here (mpls) not long ago that did this ridiculously amusing medley (must've been 30 songs in there) and right in the middle was eight bars of Miss America!! I approached the singer during a break and said, "really? Miss America?" He was so pleased he bought me a beer.
See? That's what being a teenager in the 70s gets you. Free beer.
:-)
Pearl